Inter-operability frequencies

Are you a beginner or an expert? Have a question about monitoring? Or a seasoned pro who has some tips and advice? This is the forum for you. Class is in session at Scanning 101, no extra credit needed.
Aa00405

Inter-operability frequencies

Post by Aa00405 »

I have a bank with all the federal interoperability frequencies in most of my scanners (VLAW, IR, all of the various)

In the national interoperability guide it is suggested that When programming radios to leave the rx frequency at carrier squelch, I was curious how many of you program your scanners as such or how many of you use the PL (if noted)
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: Inter-operability frequencies

Post by ecps92 »

Yes for a Real radio that would transmit, the NIFOGs suggest leave the RX empty (CSQ for Analog, or No NAC for RX)
that way you would hear anyone on a errant tone, however they may not hear you.

For Scanners, since some of these frequencies were used for other purposes (grandfathered) before the NIFOG, it is (IMHO) best
practice to put in the Tone (PL or NAC) that way you know that

155.4750 with 156.7 is the VLAW31
where as
155.4750 with 136.5 is the good ole NHSP LP-2
or
155.4750 with 192.8 is Maine on the Nationwide Car-Car

the above said, if you did, you would need to program them 3 times

Your (YMMV) call, but best to have the correct Alpha Tag with the correct PL

Another example , is one of my normal FEDERAL channels to monitor is
CBP Air 1 in P25, but it is also my local VA Hospital Maint with a PL Tone
Entered into the system twice to prevent any mis-identifications
Aa00405 wrote: 01 Aug 2022 14:15 I have a bank with all the federal interoperability frequencies in most of my scanners (VLAW, IR, all of the various)

In the national interoperability guide it is suggested that When programming radios to leave the rx frequency at carrier squelch, I was curious how many of you program your scanners as such or how many of you use the PL (if noted)
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"
PFD1993

Post by PFD1993 »

You can program UTAC42 into your scanner and listen to Providence Recreation Dept all day long. They use 453.7125/458.7125 PL156.7 (SAME as the NIFOG) for their day-to-day ops. Unfortunately it varies by location what you may be able to hear in the interop freqs and sometimes the PL/DCS used may not be a good indicator of who is using it.

I too have a bank dedicated to the interops but have locked out certain ones due to their day-to-day ops use by some agencies.

:cool: :pint:
Gil
Warwick, RI
Aa00405

Post by Aa00405 »

Thanks for the responses that's about what I figured!
Aa00405

Post by Aa00405 »

In an effort to clean up scan space

Does anyone regularly scan all the Interop channels or only certain ones? Just curious
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Yes - each and everyone one of them is in my Scan list[s]
and in only ONE Radio [newer tech] have I even come close to running out of memory

You never know what you may find/hear/discover
Aa00405 wrote: 05 Aug 2022 13:10 In an effort to clean up scan space

Does anyone regularly scan all the Interop channels or only certain ones? Just curious
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"