Jeep Wrangler RFI

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Jeep Wrangler RFI

Post by W1KNE »

So a few months back, I switched to a Jeep Wrangler. Using a pair of Larsen 2/440 antennas on side mounts. NMO bases with RG 58 runs into the scanner.
The antennas are closer to the front of the vehicle. Well let me tell you, all up and down the band from VHF to UHF, I have all these noisy spikes. Some vary, others are constant. Other than wrapping the engine in aluminum foil and grounding it, I am at my wits end. Maybe I need to start toroid choke a bunch of electrical cables. Anyone else with the same experience?
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.
W1MTW

Re: Jeep Wrangler RFI

Post by W1MTW »

I guess you're not alone: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/ ... ion.80962/
Two things I saw in searching: One was LED lights, the other was the engine control module.
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
PFD1993

Post by PFD1993 »

Mike,

What year Wrangler? I have no problem with VHF/UHF or 800 in my 2018 Wrangler. Antenna is mounted to the A post on the passenger side.

Gil
Gil
Warwick, RI
garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Modern vehicles are supposed to have better RFI suppression because of the multiple computers they have. Could it be a grounding problem? If it's not a new vehicle, I'd check all of the grounding points and look at the body to frame ground straps.From my memories of the old days body on frame vehicles often have issues with the body grounds as they age.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

It's a end of year 2022, brand new.
Mike Fitzpatrick
garys

Post by garys »

That's odd. When I was setting up my 2019 Tacoma I was worried about mounting an antenna to the hood. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it turned out.

Chrysler used to publish a guide for the radio installation, but they probably don't do that any more.

Maybe talk to someone in the service department to see if they have any ideas.

W1KNE wrote: 09 Aug 2022 23:41 It's a end of year 2022, brand new.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
ScanBoston

Post by ScanBoston »

Some threads here seem to think it's the LED lights https://www.google.com/search?q=Jeep+Wr ... nt=gws-wiz
garys

Post by garys »

It's an interesting thought. I bought a kit to convert the tail lights in my 2019 Tacoma to LED. Occasionally when I'm in a weak signal area I'll get some signal degradation when I'm listening to FM and brake.

When I did the radio and other electrical installation work on the Tacoma I put in a separate fuse box and didn't tap into any of the factory wiring. Modern vehicles are very sensitive to that and I've read where other people have bricked one of the body control modules doing what should have been a simple modification. In addition to the Engine Control Module (ECM), all modern vehicles have a Body 'Control Module (BCM) and a separate Airbag Control Module (ACM).

In my older vehicles I was less diligent about disconnecting the battery ground, but I do it regularly now when I'm doing any electrical work. Airbags scare the crap out of me and I'm always worried that if I don't disconnect the battery I might set one off. Given how expensive they are, plus the ACM has to be reset, and accidental discharge is very expensive.

Back to Mike's problem. If he did install aftermarket LEDs, it's worth disconnecting them to see if it solves the problem. Actually, if it has OEM LEDs, it's still worth disconnecting them, especially if it has DRLs that can't be turned off.
ScanBoston wrote: 10 Aug 2022 11:41 Some threads here seem to think it's the LED lights https://www.google.com/search?q=Jeep+Wr ... nt=gws-wiz
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

ScanBoston wrote: 10 Aug 2022 11:41 Some threads here seem to think it's the LED lights https://www.google.com/search?q=Jeep+Wr ... nt=gws-wiz
That's not my issue, as I don't have the LED kits and the noise exists even with them all off. I am leaning towards the OBD . This is going to be a work in progress.
Mike Fitzpatrick