Lowell NPS Park Rangers

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
n1zyy

Lowell NPS Park Rangers

Post by n1zyy »

Does anyone have a good handle on how this is set up?

I have 166.9500, N293, set up as the local Park Rangers, and have just been listening for the first time in ages. I seem to recall that in the past, it had been just for Lowell, and they operated simplex. What I'm hearing now is through a repeater (carrier stays up for a couple seconds when someone unkeys), and so far I have heard the Barnstable County Sheriff's Office cancel a GBC (is that the right term?) for a missing person, and another person radio in that he would be off with the Coast Guard.

The dispatcher, showing a P25 unit ID of 5, for some reason always has substantial wind noise into the microphone.

None of this traffic makes much sense for Lowell. I have confirmed the frequency and NAC programmed; I know the same frequency is used in Boston but with a different NAC. Has this become some regional net? Does NPS Lowell just have weird stuff patched in? I'll listen more but am currently baffled.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: Lowell NPS Park Rangers

Post by ecps92 »

Lowell has pretty much always had a Repeater, but use did vary between that and Simplex
Boston is also on the same Freq with a different NAC

IT could be an errant patch from the Boston Console as they also have access to CCNS for off-season / after hours dispatch for them

The only patch on that from the past was from/to Lowell PD but that was before Lowell went P25
n1zyy wrote: 23 Sep 2022 10:38 Does anyone have a good handle on how this is set up?

I have 166.9500, N293, set up as the local Park Rangers, and have just been listening for the first time in ages. I seem to recall that in the past, it had been just for Lowell, and they operated simplex. What I'm hearing now is through a repeater (carrier stays up for a couple seconds when someone unkeys), and so far I have heard the Barnstable County Sheriff's Office cancel a GBC (is that the right term?) for a missing person, and another person radio in that he would be off with the Coast Guard.

The dispatcher, showing a P25 unit ID of 5, for some reason always has substantial wind noise into the microphone.

None of this traffic makes much sense for Lowell. I have confirmed the frequency and NAC programmed; I know the same frequency is used in Boston but with a different NAC. Has this become some regional net? Does NPS Lowell just have weird stuff patched in? I'll listen more but am currently baffled.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"