Comtronics UHF MotoTrbo TG14 Partners Radiocheck

A forum for discussion of the many trunked radio systems in and around our listening area.
OceanNora

Comtronics UHF MotoTrbo TG14 Partners Radiocheck

#1 Post by OceanNora » 20 Jul 2018 11:04

On TG14 on the Comtronics UHF MotoTrbo system (Network 137), for the second time now I heard a radio check between Partners facilities in the area with the Brigham conducting the test. This is the second time I've heard it; the first time it seemed to include available bed counts but that was back around the marathon. I'm not quite sure what the function of the talkgroup is as I've only heard it during tests. Interestingly, there are facilities answering up that seem to be beyond the system's advertised coverage map, such as Spaulding Cape Cod and Wentworth-Douglass Hospital so I wonder if it's being simulcast from some other system/frequency.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Re: Comtronics UHF MotoTrbo TG14 Partners Radiocheck

#2 Post by garys » 26 Jul 2018 14:22

I was out of town when you posted this, so I haven't had a chance to listen. I mostly heard TG 12, which is Children's Hospital Ambulance on this trunk. I'll have to take some time to listen and see if I can figure anything out.

Those two hospitals would seem to be beyond the range of the UHF trunk, but you never know. Both are Partners/MGH facilities and we're likely talking about base stations that might be able to hear and transmit to the site. Or, maybe there are indeed other sites.

OceanNora wrote:
20 Jul 2018 11:04
On TG14 on the Comtronics UHF MotoTrbo system (Network 137), for the second time now I heard a radio check between Partners facilities in the area with the Brigham conducting the test. This is the second time I've heard it; the first time it seemed to include available bed counts but that was back around the marathon. I'm not quite sure what the function of the talkgroup is as I've only heard it during tests. Interestingly, there are facilities answering up that seem to be beyond the system's advertised coverage map, such as Spaulding Cape Cod and Wentworth-Douglass Hospital so I wonder if it's being simulcast from some other system/frequency.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#3 Post by garys » 22 Sep 2018 20:05

Listening again today, TG 54 popped up. The audio was somewhat muddy, but I got that it was valet related traffic. At one point someone identifying as "Operations" asked who the people on the radio were and what they were doing. When the field unit said "Valet for mumble, mumble, mumble, Operations asked them what they were doing on the Suffolk PD channel and where they got the radios? She then told them to get off the channel.

I know that Suffolk University has some conventional, including one P25 channel as identified by ecps92. All of the frequencies shown in the Wiki are licensed for analog and P25 voice and data.

I haven't heard anything that sounds like PD related traffic since then on the TG, so I don't know if this might be some sort of non PD security channel or something else.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

OceanNora

#4 Post by OceanNora » 21 Jan 2019 13:51

garys wrote:
22 Sep 2018 20:05
Listening again today, TG 54 popped up. The audio was somewhat muddy, but I got that it was valet related traffic. At one point someone identifying as "Operations" asked who the people on the radio were and what they were doing. When the field unit said "Valet for mumble, mumble, mumble, Operations asked them what they were doing on the Suffolk PD channel and where they got the radios? She then told them to get off the channel.

I know that Suffolk University has some conventional, including one P25 channel as identified by ecps92. All of the frequencies shown in the Wiki are licensed for analog and P25 voice and data.

I haven't heard anything that sounds like PD related traffic since then on the TG, so I don't know if this might be some sort of non PD security channel or something else.
After listening to the system on and off for the past several months, I've come up with the following:
TG 24 - Suffolk University Police - It seems to be used very rarely and only for operations related to 1047 Commonwealth Ave, a building up by BU that Suffolk is leasing for student housing. I still hear them on their P25 conventional freq for their normal operations so it seems like the TG is in use because the powers that be don't think their normal dispatch channel will reach Allston.

TG 54 - Towing in Jamaica Plain and Roxbury, 90% sure it's Stanley's. They do both trespass and BPD/BTD towing, and they mentioned that 3297 Washington St was just up the street from it (Stanley's is at 3430 Washington St)

TG 56 - Channel 2 for the user of TG 54. A lot of "Who's on first" between the two talkgroups with drivers and dispatchers always being on the TG that the others are not. Unknown what one would be used for vs the other.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#5 Post by garys » 21 Jan 2019 15:17

You're very likely right about Stanley's. I forgot about them, but the company has been around seemingly forever and does a lot of police tows.

By "forever" I mean since at least the 1960s, since they were well established in the early 1970s when I used to tow cars out of there.

I think the basic package for Comtronics includes two TGs, so maybe it's just confusion.

Today would probably be a good day to listen since they'll likely be doing some towing for snow removal and such.
OceanNora wrote:
21 Jan 2019 13:51

After listening to the system on and off for the past several months, I've come up with the following:
TG 24 - Suffolk University Police - It seems to be used very rarely and only for operations related to 1047 Commonwealth Ave, a building up by BU that Suffolk is leasing for student housing. I still hear them on their P25 conventional freq for their normal operations so it seems like the TG is in use because the powers that be don't think their normal dispatch channel will reach Allston.

TG 54 - Towing in Jamaica Plain and Roxbury, 90% sure it's Stanley's. They do both trespass and BPD/BTD towing, and they mentioned that 3297 Washington St was just up the street from it (Stanley's is at 3430 Washington St)

TG 56 - Channel 2 for the user of TG 54. A lot of "Who's on first" between the two talkgroups with drivers and dispatchers always being on the TG that the others are not. Unknown what one would be used for vs the other.

OceanNora

#6 Post by OceanNora » 23 Jan 2019 19:01

I didn't listen for long on this system, but the areas and kinds of tows done further suggest that it's Stanley's. Someone more familiar with the area and players there would probably be able to confirm it after a morning of listening. On ICE TG 473 (possibly Akiki) I heard a driver telling the dispatcher that Stanley's wouldn't let their truck come onto the yard, but would help them push it onto the street but I didn't think to switch over to the Comtronics system.